14 August 2011

What is it that I know with absolute certainty?

On close examination one finds that there is not much in life that one is sure of. Most of the things that we believe to be true are just that - beliefs in face of uncertainty driven by a desire to be secure. It is then of great import to sincerely inquire into the nature of belief and to also inquire into what is it that one is truly certain of in this life.

On such introspection I find that there is very little that I am certain of. Most of what I know is because of eiher I have read in a book, heard it through people, is widely accepted by the crowds, or is considered a given. There then remains this very little, though immensely significant, that I find myself absolutely certain of:

1. Death - mine, another's. That which is born is bound to die.

2. The connection between perception and happiness. It would be quite an act on my part to deny the fact of my daily experience - whether a given event will inspire or enclose me within myself is determined largely by how my mind interprets it, perceives it, defines it. There is an undeniable link between one's mindset and one's state of mind (happiness).

3. All sensory beauty is passing and ephemeral. The music may be most melodious but how long can one listen to it? However tasty the food may be, the tongue has its limitation. No matter how beautiful the sight the eyes do get tired of it eventually. Senses are limited in their capacity to perceive and savor.

4. I know of absolutely nothing, that can be perceived by the senses and is not subject to change, decay, and eventual demise. Just as the senses are temporal, so are the objects perceived by them.

5. The experience of love in one's heart is the one and only immediate transformational happening.